Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Police


We saw The Police play at the Amway Center this past weekend and it was every bit as incredible as I had hoped. I wasn't too fond of the opening band (Elvis Costello) my apologies to those of you who are Costello fans.

Between Costello and The Police was a drastic set change of instruments and equipment. Oddly enough The Police set was less elaborate than Costello save the drums and percussion section. They were set all on the same level of the stage drums center back, Sting front left and Andy Summers front right.

The minute the lights were killed and three silhouettes entered the stage was absolutely thrilling. They broadcast a big screen view of the band just behind the stage for those of us sitting a quarter of a mile away. Beginning with a softer song the name of which escapes me Sting was perched on a stool with a small classical guitar of sorts looking hardly as old as I think he is. It was surreal to behold this phenominal trio of musicians who hadn't performed like this since I was too young to walk. They played a thoroughly satisfying collection of classics, Message in a Bottle, Walking on the Moon, Can't Stand Loosing You, Roxanne, De Do Do Do De Da Da Da, Don't Stand So Close to Me, Every Little Thing She Does is Magic, Every Breath You Take. Each song was accompanied by a show of lights that was simply hypnotising.

Sting is the most enthusiastic performer I have ever encountered. He was believably excited to encounter the fans of Orlando and rallied us on throughout the whole performance. Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland were likewise entertaining their wit and skill on stage. One element I was particularly surprised to notice was Sting's bass, it looked like a blankie he had had since kindergarten it was so worn. I imagined it was his baby and it certainly played like it was loyal to his hands. I've read his autobiography and I can't seem to recall the story behind his bass and whether he uses just one or not. Andy Summers seemed to stick to one guitar as well for most of the show. It was just reaffirming of their talent to be able to stick with one instrument throughout the performance.

Honestly words cannot describe what my ears heard but it was every bit as magical as I could've have imagined. So thank you to my husband for splurging on my behalf for my birthday this year and allowing us the opportunity to see The Police in concert.

1 comment:

Ande Truman said...

Woohoo! Glad you had fun... wish I coulda' seen it!